- Tell us about your business and what personal/professional moments in your life led you to starting your own company?
My company little black book is based in Washington, DC. We specialize in bringing clients ideas to fruition. Our team has experience in planning corporate events, weddings, baby showers, birthdays, bachelorette/bachelor parties and everything in between. I have always been a planner and have enjoyed doing it for fun. A few years ago, I had several people in my life pass away. As I worked through this I began to realize that life is short. As cliche as that sounds, it really made me begin to think about how I was living my life. I once heard that your purpose is defined as something you love to do, something you are good at and something you can get paid for…for me this is event planning. It’s my passion.
- What doubts did you have to fight through to keep going and what steps did you take to overcome them?
There is always the doubt about whether I am good enough. My business is saturated with other planners especially in the DC area. Why am I special? I had a bride and groom tell me that hiring me was the best decision they made throughout the wedding process. I am good at what I do. I have to remind myself of the value I bring to my clients.
- Tell us about a time where you made a big investment in yourself or in your business and how it paid off?
I decided to go back to school and get an event management certification at GW. I could have continued business without but I wanted to become an expert at my craft. This decision paid off immensely! Besides the education, I made some wonderful contacts that resulted in 50% of my business this year. I am so thankful that I made that investment.
- What personal mantra or quote has been a big part of keeping you going in your business?
“Good things come to those who wait but better things come to those who go out and get them.”
- What is one tip you would want to give other entrepreneurs in creative businesses?
Surround yourself with other creatives. It makes for great brainstorming sessions…think outside of your own industry.
- Bonus Question: What are you most proud of right now in your personal or professional life?
I am most proud of how I’ve inspired others to follow their dreams. As long as you are breathing it’s never too late.
*Share where we can connect with you on social media. – @littleblkbk (Instagram & Twitter)